Counselling and Trauma Therapy in St Albans
How we can help
The Trauma Practice offers a range of trauma counselling and therapy near St Albans. We use a holistic integrative approach to help you with trauma or PTSD difficulties you might be having. We establish what you need to help you get better from trauma. We use a number of different approaches for trauma. These might include EMDR, CPT, CST and Psychotherapy.
We can help you if you are experiencing trauma or PTSD symptoms or associated difficulties of anxiety, depression, tinnitus, addiction, phobia or behavioural difficulties.
Who needs trauma therapy?
You may have experienced:
- A one-off traumatic incident and be suffering from PTSD symptoms
- Some developmental trauma from your childhood
- Relational trauma and need help to process what you have been through
- Head trauma and suffer from trauma associated tinnitus
- A number of traumatic incidents experienced over a period of time
Trauma or PTSD symptoms
- You feel different and disconnected from the world
- Suffer from anxiety, depression or addiction.
- You feel on edge or jumpy or easily startled
- You just don't quite feel yourself
- Avoid reminders of the traumatic incident
UKCP Accredited Psychotherapist Matthew Alderton
How we can help
Who needs trauma therapy?
Who is your therapist?
What to expect from trauma therapy
Trauma therapy benefits
Experience of trauma therapy
Trauma therapies we use
Trauma Therapist Matthew Alderton
I’m Matt Alderton. I’m friendly and down to earth. I believe in a holistic approach to counselling and therapy. I enjoy and get satisfaction from people progressing in their lives.
I am a Psychotherapist accredited by The UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP).
I trained for 7 years at The Centre for Counselling and Psychotherapy Education in Paddington London to become a Counsellor and psychotherapist.
I am also trained in Eye Movement Desensitisation & Reprocessing Therapy (EMDR). This is the leading evidence based treatment for PTSD and Trauma.
What To Expect From Trauma Therapy
Therapy starts with a consultation. This is where we get to know each other and start to build a therapeutic bond. We get to know you and appreciate where you are and what difficulties you are having. We discuss what it is you need to help you get better using a holistic integrative approach.
Trauma Therapy & Processing
Trauma therapy and processing is based on a strong therapeutic relationship between client and therapist. We have a past present and future focus. Cause of trauma, current difficulties and a where you would like to get to. We might also work on stabilisation, grounding and psycho-education prior to processing. Processing may involve psychotherapy, EMDR therapy or Cognitive Processing Therapy.
Once trauma is processed the natural recovery process can begin. This can be helped by further therapy to assist with associated difficulties or problems you might still be experiencing. Examples might be addiction, depression or anxiety. You might also feel that after your PTSD symptoms have reduced that you would like to concentrate on addressing topics around addiction, or re-engaging in meaningful relationships or reconnecting with life in general.
The therapy takes place as part of a caring therapeutic relationship in a safe confidential environment on a one to one basis.
• 50 minutes
• Same time each week
Trauma Therapy Benefits
You will feel
- Better understood and heard
- Safe again in your mind and body
- Calmer, grounded and connected
- Reconnected with yourself and the world
You will be able to
- Think positively about yourself and the world
- Find meaning in your life
- Reflect back on a trauma without reacting to it
- Discover inner qualities of strength and resilience
Trauma therapy also leads to
- PTSD symptoms cessation
- Restoring your body back to a state of homeostasis*
- Helping you to reconnect with yourself and others
Our Client's Experience Of Trauma Therapy
Therapies we use for Trauma
Please Get In Touch To Book Psychotherapy
Book Therapy Request
If you would like to book therapy please fill in this form. We are unable to contact you without this information.